I called my mom beacuse I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. After I talked to her I found out that making 10 dozen cookies was pretty much standard, also I found out that I was one of the 10 so I only had to make 9 (later I found out I only had to make 8 dozen because someone dropped out from the group). My favorite kind of cookies are sugar cookies and even though they are a little more labor intensive I was determined to make them, it was my first cookie exchange and wanted to bring my A-game (if you know me my A-game really is just bringing something store bought).I took my mom's adivce and made the dough on thursday. It wasn't that hard even though I ran out of flour and tim had to run out and get more. It was nice to be baking and while I was baking tim was fixing our dishwasher. It was a very stereotypical moment -woman cooking, man fixing stuff- it was fun especially becuase tim kept spraying water out of the dishwasher onto himself and everywhere else.
I rolled out all of the dough on friday. It didn't take as long as I thought but it was a long process. Mary came over and helped and tim helped also.
Saturday I woke up nervous but excited to get 8 new kinds of cookies. When I showed up to the cookie exchange the first thing that caught my eye was the peanut butter kiss cookies these are so yummy and I was excited but little did I know that that would be the peak of the excitment. As I started counting out cookies from the 8 other people I started to get the feeling that I made a horrible mistake and I wish I could have acted on that feeling and took back my cookies and ran. The idea of a cookie exchange is a great idea and I wish I would have known the group a little better because then I probably would have known what I was getting myself into. I don't think I am too picky when it comes to cookies but these were some of the weirdest cookies I have ever seen and tasted. First there was a shortbread cookies which looks good so I am excited about those ones; then there is a pumpkin and raisin; then white chocolate chip and walnut with a maple frosting on top, I have never had maple frosting on a cookie it definitely was a new experience. The next one definitely seemed like it was made because its chirstmas time. When I first looked at it I thought of fruit cake but it was made with lots of oatmeal, coconut, and gum drop gummies.
The clincher for me was the last type of cookie, which were burnt. I tried looking throught the container to look for not burnt ones but all of them were. All 8 dozen! I was just in shock. I probably sound like a complete brat but this was a very disappointing experience. I really want to make some more sugar cookies beacuse I feel very unsatisfied. I just can't believe I did all of that work, oh well live and learn, i'm probably just really spoiled or really sheltered because I have never even seen cookies like these. If any of these cookies are your favorite, sorry, maybe I should send them to you.
4 comments:
that's funny....merry christmas to you two!
o hey guess what! i beat the tank game....FINALLY....and yesterday sam bought me mario kart! life is very exciting now!....except my back cant sit long enough for a full 4 races....
Yeah, those sound pretty weird to me too. Next time you should make play-dough cookies, it sounds like they'd fit in with uniqueness but still taste great! So do you end up coming home with 8 dozen other cookies? That's a ton of cookies!
Haha that's really funny I've never heard of any of those cookies and you know me I LOVE cookies. Yay for putting yourself out there in the ward though!
hahahah - what a sad looking plate of cookies! I'm so sorry! You should have just kept your 8 dozen sugar cookies! :)- I AM very proud of you though...way to get involved!
Post a Comment